1. Change half the water in your pond to fresh, remember to use our water ager for tap water instantly takes chlorine & other toxic chemicals out of your tap water. Dose can be added while filling or when you start. Not After you finish.
2. Remove all debris from the bottom of your pond with a large net or pond vac.
3. Cut back/remove dying plant matter in and around the pond. Don't re pot plants till spring.
4. Net the pond to prevent leaves & branches polluting the pond water & to keep predatory birds out.
5. Don't clean the filter and do a water change the same week, do the water change first.
6. If you intend to use Algae killer or Clear Water clean the filter the week after. If you have a ultra violet sterilizer clean the glass Tube the light is housed in.
7. Clear water binds particles floating in your pond water together so when they pass through the filter because they are bigger they stay there, within hours to days your pond water will be crystal clear. Clean the filter after the pond water has cleared. Clear Water is safe for fish & plants in the correct dose.
8. Algae Killer kills the free floating algae spores in you pond water, within a week you pond water will be crystal clear, even if the pond water was like pea soup. Algae killer will not remove the algae that grows on the floor or sides of the pond, that is part of the natural environment and provides microscopic food for the inhabitants of the pond. Clean the filter after the algae is gone and the water is clear. Algae Killer is safe for fish & plants in the correct dose.
If algae is a constant problem, you may need to put up a shade sail or Buy one of our UV lights, this is a permanent solution to Algae problems, as the water passes through the UV sleeve, the ultraviolet light kills the algae spores. This means no more algae. You do need to replace the UV Light tubes yearly.
9. In winter much of your good bacteria dies, and this makes the environment in the pond become unstable, This can result in sick fish, susceptible to diseases & parasites to prevent this dont over clean your filter cut back cleaning by half.
10. Salt the pond, salt naturally builds up body slime on fish and gives them protection against bacterial infections. Dose 1kg of pool salt to every 2000 ltrs of pond water. Pour in where the filter return water is, straight from the measuring container. Do this once a year every Autumn.
Feeding your koi & goldfish from Autumn to Winter
koi or goldfish in your pond, are poikilothermic, “cold-blooded.” Their internal temperature varies with the ambient external temperature. So in the wintertime when your pond’s water cools, the body temperatures of your fish cool, too. And with that dip in body temperature comes a reduced need for nutrients.
Our wheat germ-based diet is designed to transition your pond fish from eating a high-protein, high-energy diet, to fuel their active underwater lifestyles – to their winter period of metabolic inactivity.
The Wheat germ we sell, is high in carbohydrate-based nutrients, packed with natural vegetable proteins and designed to provide your pond fish with the immune-system boosting vitamins and minerals to get them through the winter.
Wheat germ requires less energy to digest, so its perfect to ease the fish into or out of the colder months.
Time to Switch!
start transitioning your pond fish to the wheat germ-based diet in Autumn, when the water temperature starts to cool, feed your fish a mixture of the wheat germ & the normal food you feed, gradually increasing the wheat germ and decreasing your other food until you’re feeding 100 percent of the wheat germ food.
SINKING PELLET IS GREAT FOR THE FANCY GOLDFISH.
Wheat-Germ formula is a highly digestible, daily diet for the cooler months of the year
in cooler water Koi fish & goldfish metabolism slows down, they can only really digest their food in the warmest part of the day.
Feed your koi & Goldfish in the morning so they have all day to digest their food
halve their intake from summer feeding.
don't feed in the late afternoon
Can be fed in Summer for variety
The only food on the market to use the inner most portion of the wheat germ kernel with added vitamins & minerals offers higher levels of nutrients to the koi & goldfish
Hikari Floating Wheat germ 200g Mini 1.2mm
We feed all our fancy goldfish wheatgerm year round with other foods, to provide an easily digestible fibre based pellet
Hikari Goldfish Wheat Germ mini pellet is a floating food which is highly digestible in colder water.
The wheat germ content is over 40% by weight making the food high in linolenic acid and vitamin E to increase the luster of the skin.
Offers excellent growth rates through improved digestion with lower waste.
High in stabilized vitamin C which reduces stress and promotes immunity.
You can start to feed our new Australian Koi & Goldfish food through out Autumn and winter, its a mix with low protein, wheatgerm and algae, highly digestible in cooler and cold temperatures. Suitable to feed all year round with extra minerals and vitamins.
Premium Australian Made food Floating Koi & Goldfish Pellet with wheatgerm & algae
Contains Wheat Germ & Algae for extra fibre an easy to digest floating pellet for summer or winter feeding
provides a balanced diet with vitamins, Minerals to help boost the immune system including Ash, Canola Meal, Lupins, Soybean, Fish Meal & Krill Meal.
Wont discolour water, no added food dyes
Food softens in water while still floating
all fish up to 15cm will take 3mm pellet
fish large than 15cm will take 6mm pellet
Where ever you live in Australia Wheat germ can be fed without causing any harm to the fish ready for the inevitable drop in temperature.
Only start to feed the koi and goldfish a higher protein pellet again such as hikari gold, when the weather turns warmer again, add a little of the protein to the wheat germ as the water temperature goes up or feed our year round food.
Once the temperature in the pond is below minus degrees Celsius you should stop feeding your fish
Windsor fish hatchery breeding and selling fish & goods since 1984, Online since 2012