No matter where you live in Australia, at this time of year its the coldest month, pick a sunny day its time to do some general pond maintenance.
1. If you haven't got a pond block in your pond, buy one and kick start new bacteria, so toxins don't build up and kill the fish
2. Is you temperature in the pond below 10 Celsius? stop feeding protein feed only wheatgerm, crab and feed till spring. Its easy for the fish to digest in cold water.
3. the last leaves will have fallen by now, so clean out the bottom of the pond, with a long handle net or if you have a pond vacuum use that and do a water change at the same time.
4. Don't clean the filter at this time, unless its blocked, leave that till spring.
5. Check you pH, you want 7.4 to 7.8 for koi or goldfish. Add bicarb of soda (from the supermarket) 50 grams per 1000 ltrs, you pH will fluctuate between day and night. Going lower at night which means there is less oxygen available to the fish, so make 7.4 the lowest pH acceptable. Test every 24hrs at the same time till you have reached the desired range
7. Salt the water, pool salt or rock salt. 1kg for every 2000ltrs of water in the pond. Just tip in undiluted where the filter water returns to the pond, the current will disperse the salt around the pond over time. Only Salt if you haven't don't so in the last 5mths.
8. Cut of surface growth of any plants left in the pond, winter is there dormant stage they will come back in Spring. you can now repot any plants that have outgrown the pots and divide any that haven't been done for 3yrs. Don't repot in spring. Don't fertilize now, wait for spring.
9. Top up evaporated water and remember to use water neutralizer to take out the chlorine and heavy metals in tap water.
10. Remove all debris from you pond, such as fallen tree branches etc. Clean your Pump and the head of the water fountain.
A Garden pond adds so much to your enjoyment of your backyard,
IT is truly ALL ABOUT THE WATER, if that's right then the fish will thrive and breed, and you can enjoy your pond with healthy fish for years to come!!!